Dr. Bomback has excelled throughout his entire academic career. After graduating high school as salutatorian, he then graduated cum laude from Columbia College, Columbia University where he was named one of only five Rabi Scholars (for mathematics and science) in his class. He then earned his medical degree at Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, once again graduating at the top of his class with honors. He was named to the Alpha Omega Alpha Society and earned numerous accolades including the Bertsch Prize and Cummins awards for most promising surgeon. He then completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Yale New Haven Hospital, and ultimately served as Chief Resident there as well. His professionalism and spinal research earned him the top two graduating awards (Southwick and Chrisman Awards) in addition to a national Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Prize.
Dr. Bomback then completed a Spine and Scoliosis Fellowship at the world-renowned Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY) studying all aspects of spinal care including both pediatric and adult. He practices in southwestern Connecticut at the state- and nationally- recognized CT Neck & Back, Specialists, LLC. He devotes his entire practice to spine care – both surgical and nonsurgical. He treats all spinal conditions including complex spinal deformities (scoliosis and kyphosis) as well revision spinal fusions. In addition, he performs a vast amount of minimally invasive spinal procedures, reducing pain and hospital stay. He serves on the Professional Practice Evaluation Committee for Western CT Health Network as the sole surgeon representative, reviewing all cases with significant complications (giving him a particular expertise in second opinions and recognition regarding surgical appropriateness.) He also leads as the Medical Director of the Orthopaedic Surgery/Neurosurgery Unit at Western Connecticut Health Network.
In his free time, he enjoys golf and tennis, has a real enthusiasm for Indian food and is a legitimate “movie buff”. Most of all, however, he enjoys spending time with his wife and young children. He certainly welcomes the opportunity to speak with you regarding your particular spine issue and is confident that he can make a difference.
Dr. Bomback has published original research in the top spine publications (Spine, The Spine Journal) and has written numerous articles/chapters relevant to his expertise. He has lectured both nationally and internationally on spinal fusion surgery. His latest chapter focused on perhaps the most challenging cases in all of spinal surgery (revision deformity surgery) making him a true expert in second opinions for these complex scenarios. Reader’s Digest featured him for his “miracle of surgery”. He has consistently been named a Top Doctor by U.S. News & World Report, a CT Top Doc, Americas Top Orthopaedist, as well as Castle Connolly Top Doctor for Orthopaedics. In addition, his warm bedside manner and ability to educate patients in a meaningful way earned him an online Report Card grade of A in addition to numerous Patient Choice Awards.
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Certified 2007
- Medical Director, Danbury Hospital Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Unit, 2010-Present
- Professional Practice Evaluation Committee, Western CT Health Network. 2010-Present
- Connecticut Magazine Top Doctors, 2013, 2012, 2011
- Consumers’ Research Council of America Award for America’s Top Orthopedists; 2010
- The Patient’s Choice Award, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. Award America’s Top Doctors; 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- O. Donald Chrisman Award -Yale graduating Chief Resident for most outstanding thesis presentation and excellence in research; June, 2004.
- Wayne O. Southwick Orthopaedic Surgery Award -Yale graduating Chief Resident who exemplifies the qualities and characteristics of Dr. Southwick (former Chairman of Orthopaedics, Yale New Haven Hospital); June, 2004.
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation – New York Metropolitan Area Resident Research Symposium 3rd Place Award Recipient; May 9, 2003
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Rosamond Kane Cummins ’52 Award – Graduate entering orthopaedics with academic excellence, sensitivity, kindness, devotion to patients and the fine human qualities that she exemplified Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Robert G. Bertsch Prize – Emulating Dr. Bertsch’s ideals of the humane surgeon Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Herbert J. Bartelstone Award – Exceptional accomplishments in pharmacology Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999